May 29th, 2008 by Mehdi Posted in Build Muscle
The biggest mistake when building muscle is imitating Pro Bodybuilders. Most of them donít train naturally, are genetically gifted and never started training that way. Doing their routines wonít make you build muscle fast.
The average person needs a different approach. One that builds muscle fast and prevents physical & mental overtraining from doing too much, too soon. Hereís how to build muscle: the definitive guide to building muscle.
1. Get Stronger. More strength is more muscle. Get into strength training. I recommend weight lifting because it allows you to start light and add weight endlessly. Body-weight exercises work too.
2. Use Free Weights. You can lift the heaviest weights using barbells. More weight is more stress, thus more muscle. Dumbbells are great for assistance exercises, but not for your main lifts. Stay away from machines.
3. Do Compound Exercises. Donít imitate Pro Bodybuilders. Isolation exercises are ok once youíve built base strength & muscle mass. But if youíre starting to build muscle, exercises that hit several muscles at the same time are better.
4. Train Your Legs. Squats work your whole body, theyíre the most important exercise. Youíll look totally different once you can Squat 1.5x your body-weight. Thatís a free weight Squat with hips coming lower than knees.
All your muscles tense when doing Squats & Deadlifts. They work your body as 1 piece and let you lift heavy weights. Donít lose time with Biceps Curls. When you can Squat & Deadlift heavy weights, youíll have bigger arms.
5. Do Full Body Workouts. Donít compare to Pro Bodybuilders. 3rd time so this gets into you. Body part splits with isolation exercises is fine once youíve built a foundation. Thatís once you can Squat 1.5x your body-weight.
You canít Squat that much or never did Squats? Check StrongLifts 5◊5. It takes 3◊45mins/week and includes compound exercises like Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows, Overhead Press, Pull-ups, Dips, etc.
6 Get Recovery. Pro athletes workout 5-6 times per week. But they didnít start that way. They added workouts as they got stronger & bigger. Youíll overtrain if you jump into their routines. As a beginner you need more recovery.
7. Eat Whole Foods. Youíll achieve a lower body fat, so the muscles youíve built show better. And the vitamin & mineral content helps recovery. Stop eating food coming from a box. Eat whole foods 90% of the time.
8. Eat More. You need food for energy and for muscle growth & recovery. More frequent meals also boosts your metabolism, helping fat loss.
9. Gain Weight. Youíll never look muscular weighing 140lbs at 6″. No matter how much training you do. Hereís the most important part.
10. Get Protein. Proteins have the highest thermic effect. You need 1g protein per pound of body-weight daily to build & maintain muscle. Thatís 160g of daily protein if you weigh 160lbs/72kg. Eat whole proteins with each meal.
If you weigh 160lbs: 1 can of tuna at lunch, 300g quark as snack, 300g meat at dinner and 500ml milk through the day gets you 160g protein. Read also how to get your daily protein when youíre a vegeterian/vegan.
Weight Training / Weight Lifting Equipment / Bodybuilding Supplements / Site Map / Anabolic Supplements / Hyper Gain
(c) Copyright 2000 The Pumping Station